Zamora: recognition of its Sephardic past

Spain flag pressFour decades of conferences, exhibitions, celebrations and gestures with the Jewish zamoracommunity have motivated the award of the medal of the Four Synagogues to the province. The Sephardic Community of Jerusalem, which this year celebrates 750 years of life, has just gotten nozamora.jpgtificar the recognition to Zamora by means of a letter addressed to the Diputación, understanding that it is the institution that represents all the municipalities. The logo will be handed out next July 3, in the context of the fifth congress on the Jewish legacy, which will be entitled “Zamora in the Sephardic memory”.
In the letter sent from Jerusalem, the Sephardic Community values ​​the trajectory of “four decades” promoting “the discovery, study and dissemination of medieval and later Zamoran Judaism through converts and their relations with Portugal and other entities.” It is Abraham Haím himself, president of the oldest Sephardic group in Israel, who signs the letter sent to Mayte Martín Pozo, president of the provincial institution.
As the Sephardic Community summarized in an accompanying document, the first efforts to recover the Jewish legacy started in 1981, with the celebration of the Congress “The Forgotten Spain: the Jews” organized by the Ramos de Castro Foundation.
From the capital to Sanabria
A year later, the Historical Archive develops an exhibition of historical documents on the Jewish presence in Zamora. Between 1994 and 1997 the Caminos de Cervantes and Sefarad congresses took place in Puebla de Sanabria and Braganza. And by the end of the 1990s, in 1996 the installation of La Marina del Miliario was commemorated to commemorate the 1100th anniversary of repopulation, where the Jewish presence is recognized.
In the first decade of 2000 there were also two other milestones in the way of the diffusion of ancient Hebrew culture. It is the signage of the main street of the Jewish quarter of Toro and the placement of another mill on the Jacobean Routes, which included the town of Entrala as a “gate” of the Jews to Portugal.
The last lustrum has been perhaps the one of greater activity sustained in the time about the Sephardic past. Indeed, five years ago Professor Jesus Jambrina began a series of annual congresses that have brought together experts from Israel and the United States. Exhibitions, routes through the capital and La Raya and concerts of Sephardic music have completed an intense task of spreading the Jewish past.

contact-now

Zamora: reconocimiento de su pasado sefardí

US FLAG press

Cuatro décadas de congresos, exposiciones, celebraciones y gestos con la comunidad judía han motivado la concesión de la medalla de las Cuatro Sinagogas a la provincia. La Comunidad Sefardí de Jerusalén, que este año cumple 750 años de vida, acaba de nozamora.jpgtificar el reconocimiento a Zamora mediante una carta dirigida a la Diputación, al entender que se trata de la institución que representa a todos los municipios. La entrega de la insignia se llevará a cabo el próximo 3 de julio, en el contexto del quinto congreso sobre el legado judío, que llevará por título Zamora en la memoria sefardí.

En la misiva enviada desde Jerusalén, la Comunidad Sefardí valora la trayectoria de “cuatro décadas” promoviendo “el descubrimiento, estudio y divulgación del judaísmo zamorano medieval y posterior, a través de los conversos y sus relaciones con Portugal y con otras entidades”. Es el propio Abraham Haím, presidente del colectivo sefardí más antiguo de Israel, quien firma la carta remitida a Mayte Martín Pozo, presidenta de la institución provincial.

Tal y como resume la Comunidad Sefardí en un documento anexo, los primeros esfuerzos para recuperar el legado judío arrancaron en 1981, con la celebración del congreso “La España olvidada: los judíos”, organizado por la Fundación Ramos de Castro.

De la capital a Sanabria

Un año más tarde, el Archivo Histórico desarrolla una exposición de documentos históricos sobre la presencia judía en Zamora. Entre 1994 y 1997 tienen lugar los congresos Caminos de Cervantes y Sefarad, en Puebla de Sanabria y Braganza. Y para cerrar la década de los noventa, en 1996 se procedió a la colocación en La Marina del Miliario para conmemorar el 1100 aniversario de la repoblación, donde se reconoce la presencia judía.

En la primera década de 2000 hubo también otros dos hitos en el camino de la difusión de la antigua cultura hebrea. Se trata de la señalización de la calle principal de la judería de Toro y la colocación de otro miliario sobre las Rutas jacobeas, en los que se incluyó la localidad de Entrala como “puerta” de los judíos hacia Portugal.

El último lustro ha sido quizá el de mayor actividad sostenida en el tiempo acerca del pasado sefardí. En efecto, hace cinco años el profesor Jesús Jambrina inició una serie de congresos anuales que han reunido en la provincia a expertos venidos de Israel y de Estados Unidos. Exposiciones, rutas por la capital y por La Raya y conciertos de música sefardí han completado una intensa tarea de difusión del pasado judío.

contact-now

Barcelona: The Cal or Jewish Quarter

Author: Elena Ruiz

Spain flag press

One of the major attractions of the city is the fact that its old town still preserves enclaves of yesteryear almost intact despite the passage of time, which allows us to be able to wander around its streets, where you can almost relive how was the Barcelona of our ancestors. And if there is an enclave endowed with this evocative capacity, it is the Jewish quarter.

Sefarad is the name used by the Jews, since the Middle Ages, to refer to the Iberian Peninsula. Its history in Spain is long and ancient, so much that goes back to Roman times. Centuries after centuries, their presence became fertile and entrenched until the arrival of two nefarious dates: 1391 when anti-Jewish revolts began and 1492 when they were finally expelled from Spain.

Of all the Jewish communities that inhabited the peninsula, that of Barcelona was one of the largest and most powerful. The first documents confirming its presence in the city are from the years 875-877, but it is probable that they were established in it from the first centuries of the Christian era. The truth is that the existence of Jews in Catalan lands precedes, even, that of the Catalans themselves. The Judería of Catalonia, as well as the Valencian and the Balearic ones receive the name of ‘Call’, that means small street or alley. This denomination is the one that is used to refer to the set of streets occupied by them, that is to say, to the neighborhood, whereas the community receives the name of aljama.

The aljama of Barcelona was the largest in Catalonia of the Middle Ages. It had the reputation of being a ‘city of sages’ among the Jews, for in its streets flourished crafts, commerce, theology, science, poetry, philosophy, cabal and also had a rabbinical school of great renown . Today, Barcelona keeps a clear reminiscence of this Jewish past and, among its many references in the toponymy of the Catalan capital, remains of Montjuïc, Mount of the Jews, which was used as a cemetery of the Hebrew community for centuries And where they owned farmland, houses and towers.

Medieval Barcelona had two Jewish neighborhoods, the Call Major that was delimited by the current streets of Banys Nous, Sant Sever, Bisbe and Call. In the middle of the thirteenth century, due to the secular growth of the community, was expanded and as a result of this was built a new area known as Call Menor, located around the current church of Sant Jaume, Ferran Street. These two districts were not connected to each other, but in these narrow streets of the center of Barcelona lived up to 4,000 people. The life within the Call was governed by the Hebrew calendar, being for them the Sabbath the sacred day, and they followed the customs and Jewish laws.

For many centuries the Jewish and Christian communities maintained good relations, held joint ventures, and counts-kings entrusted important public offices to Jews, such as those of tax collector or ambassador. However, after a series of fateful events, among them the arrival of the black plague, began to spread slander, as the Jews poisoned the water. On August 5, 1391, this accumulated tension finally exploded, giving rise to the attack that suffered the Call, which was assaulted, burned down, 300 people were killed and many others were forced to convert to Christianity. Thereafter there was no possible recovery of the neighborhood, nor of coexistence between surviving and Christian Jews. All this ended with his definitive expulsion from Spain by the Catholic Monarchs in 1492. Since then, the imagery about Sefarad became the memory of a place where there was a revival of Jewish culture, but to which they could not return.

In spite of the looting and that the Call was occupied and hidden, today, between gothic cathedrals and streets dedicated to saints, you can guess the past of this important community. The location where the Call is located is a compendium of winding and charming streets located in the Barri Gòtic, and in which there are certain obligatory stops to better understand the environment that surrounds us.

At number 10 on the narrow street of Banys Nous, the S’Olivery store is located there, in its depths, among furniture of all kinds are discovered the ancient Jewish ritual baths – mikves – of the city. Christians and Muslims were also frequent users of these Banys Nous (New Baths). The building belongs to the XII century and is in a great state of preservation, where large columns and stone arches move us to another era. In the same street, on the lower floor of the caelum, the old arcades of the women’s baths still stand.

Sant Honorat Street was the area where rabbis and wealthy Jewish families used to live. Most of their houses were expropriated to build the Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya, but at number 10 the remains of the house of writer Mossé Natam are still preserved. And in the corner that this street does with the street of the Fruita, also they are observed the rest of the source destined to them.

The synagogues were the center of the community: la scola, place for celebrations, religious rituals, and also for assemblies or judgments. Of the five synagogues that had originally been in Barcelona, ​​only one of them is conserved, located in number 5 of the Marlet street. It is considered one of the oldest in Europe, although it ceased to provide its services as such following the expulsion of the Jews and began to give other uses to the building, to the point that a house was built on top of it . The Major Synagogue was reopened in 2002 and although it is not used for daily prayers, it does serve as the center of cultural diffusion of Judaism and community activities such as weddings and Bar Mitzvah ceremonies are held. However, there is an open debate among historians as to whether this is really the actual site of the original original Synagogue since many place it at number 9 on the street of Sant Domènec del Call, a building currently occupied by a wine merchant .

As a result of that 5 of August of 1931, the toponymy of the streets of the Call were changed and Christianized. The street of the Font, where the fountain in which the Jews collected water, was called Font de Sant Honorat, and later Sant Honorat Street, a name that is still used today. The street of the Synagogue became the street of Sant Domènec del Call, in which you can read a plaque that recalls a certain convent founded in 1219 by Santo Domingo de Guzmán. The reality is that this street was renamed in memory of the day on which the attack began, because it took place on the day of Sant Domènec.

 The Call: memories of the Jewish quarter of Barcelona Relic preserved in the Greater Synagogue
Alamy Stock Photo
At number 6 in the same street, we come across the oldest house in the city, since it has been inhabited since the 12th century. Despite having been restored, original ornamental elements from the Middle Ages are conserved. A curious fact of this building is that, if one pays attention, there is a certain inclination of the facade, as a result of the earthquake that suffered the city in 1428.

Although, undoubtedly, the most interesting place to get into the Jewish culture of medieval Barcelona is the Center d’Interpretació del Call, set within the so-called Casa de l’Alquimista, on the Placeta de Manuel Ribé. The building dates from the fourteenth century and in it lived Jucef Bonhiac, a weaver-weaver. The museum offers information on the neighborhood and daily life, and also includes the remains of the house, a permanent display of ceramics found in archaeological excavations and tombstones of the second century from the Hebrew cemetery of Montjuïc.

It may seem that this Jewish Barcelona is a place belonging to the past, but it is worth rescuing it, preserving it and remembering it in memory of the material and immaterial splendor that reached the City during that time and the incalculable legacy that left us forever in this Land, despite being expelled from his beloved Sefarad.

13_02_12-juderia_segovia
 

Home Page

 

Barcelona: El Cal o Barrio Judío

Por Elena Ruiz

US FLAG press

Uno de los mayores atractivos de la Ciudad Condal radica en el hecho de que su casco antiguo aún conserva enclaves de antaño casi intactos a pesar del paso del tiempo, lo que nos permite poder deambular por sus calles, donde casi se puede revivir cómo era la Barcelona de nuestros antepasados. Y si hay un enclave dotado de esta evocadora capacidad, es el barrio judío.

Sefarad es el nombre que emplean los judíos, desde la Edad Media, para referirse a la Península Ibérica. Su historia en España es larga y antigua, tanto que se remonta hasta tiempos romanos. Siglo tras siglo, su presencia se fue configurando fecunda y arraigada hasta la llegada de dos nefastas fechas: 1391 cuando comienzan las revueltas antijudías y 1492 cuando son expulsados definitivamente de España.

De entre todas las comunidades judías que habitaron la península, la de Barcelona fue una de las más grandes y poderosas. Los primeros documentos que confirman su presencia en la ciudad son de los años 875-877, pero es probable que estuvieran establecidos en ella desde los primeros siglos de la era cristiana. Lo cierto es que la existencia de judíos en tierras catalanas es anterior, incluso, a la de los propios catalanes. Las juderías de Cataluña, así como las valencianas y las baleares reciben el nombre de ‘Call’, que significa calle pequeña o callejón. Esta denominación es la que se utiliza para referirse al conjunto de calles ocupadas por ellos, es decir, al barrio, mientras que la comunidad recibe el nombre de aljama.

 

La aljama de Barcelona fue la más grande de la Cataluña del Medievo. Tenía la reputación de ser una ‘ciudad de sabios’ entre los judíos, pues en sus calles florecieron la artesanía, el comercio, la teología, la ciencia, la poesía, la filosofía, la cábala y además contaba con una escuela rabínica de gran renombre. A día de hoy, Barcelona guarda una clara reminiscencia de este pasado judío y, entre sus numerosas referencias en la toponimia de la capital catalana, permanece imborrable el de Montjuïc, Monte de los judíos, que fue usado como cementerio de la comunidad hebrea durante siglos y donde poseían tierras de cultivo, casas y torres.

La Barcelona medieval contaba con dos barrios judíos, el Call Major que estaba delimitado por las actuales calles de Banys Nous, Sant Sever, Bisbe y Call. A mediados del siglo XIII, debido al crecimiento secular de la comunidad, fue ampliado y fruto de esto se construyó una nueva zona conocida como Call Menor, ubicado en torno a la actual iglesia de Sant Jaume, en la calle Ferran. Estos dos barrios no estaban comunicados entre sí, pero en estas estrechas calles del centro de Barcelona llegaron a vivir hasta 4.000 personas. La vida dentro del Call se regía por el calendario hebreo, siendo para ellos el sábado el día sagrado, y seguían las costumbres y leyes judías.

El Call: memorias del barrio judío de Barcelona

Todo esto era el Call

Alamy Stock Photo

Durante muchos siglos las comunidades judías y cristianas mantuvieron buena relación, poseyeron negocios conjuntos y los condes-reyes confiaban importantes cargos públicos a hebreos, tales como los de recaudador de impuestos o embajador. Sin embargo, tras una serie de fatídicos eventos, entre ellos la llegada de la peste negra, comenzaron a divulgarse calumnias, como que los judíos envenenaban el agua. El 5 de agosto de 1391, esta tensión acumulada terminó por estallar dando lugar al ataque que sufrió el Call, que fue asaltado, incendiado, 300 personas murieron asesinadas y muchas otras fueron obligadas a convertirse al cristianismo. A partir de entonces ya no hubo recuperación posible del barrio, ni de la convivencia entre los judíos supervivientes y cristianos. Todo esto acabó con su expulsión definitiva de España por parte de los Reyes Católicos en 1492. Desde entonces, el imaginario sobre Sefarad se convirtió en el recuerdo de un lugar donde hubo un renacimiento de la cultura judía, pero al que no podrían volver.

A pesar del saqueo y de que el Call fue ocupado y ocultado, a día de hoy, entre catedrales góticas y calles dedicadas a santos, se puede adivinar el pasado de esta importante comunidad. El emplazamiento donde se encuentra el Call es un compendio de sinuosas y encantadoras calles situadas en el Barri Gòtic, y en el que hay ciertas paradas obligatorias para entender mejor el entorno que nos rodea.

En el número 10 de la angosta calle de Banys Nous se ubica, actualmente, la tienda S’Olivery allí, en sus profundidades, entre muebles de todo tipo se descubren los antiguos baños rituales judíos -mikves- de la ciudad. Cristianos y musulmanes también eran usuarios asiduos de estos Banys Nous (Baños Nuevos). El edificio pertenece al siglo XII y se encuentra en un estupendo estado de conservación, donde grandes columnas y arcos de piedra nos trasladan a otra época. En la misma calle, en el piso inferior de la tetería Caelum, siguen en pie las antiguas arcadas de los baños femeninos.

El Call: memorias del barrio judío de Barcelona

Interior de la Sinagoga Mayor

Alamy Stock Photo

La calle Sant Honorat era la zona donde los rabinos y las familias judías adineradas solían vivir. La mayoría de sus casas fueron expropiadas para construir el Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya, pero en el número 10 aún se preservan los vestigios de la casa del escritor Mossé Natam. Y en la esquina que esta calle hace con la calle de la Fruita, también se observan los restos de la fuente destinada a ellos.

Las sinagogas eran el centro de la comunidad: la scola, lugar para las celebraciones, rituales religiosos, y también para las asambleas o juicios. De las cinco sinagogas que había originalmente en Barcelona, tan sólo se conserva una de ellas, ubicada en el número 5 de la calle Marlet. Está considerada una de las más antiguas de Europa, pese a que dejó de prestar sus servicios como tal a raíz de la expulsión de los judíos y se comenzó a dar otros usos al edificio, hasta el punto de que se levantó una casa encima de ella. La Sinagoga Mayor fue reinaugurada en el año 2002 y, aunque no es utilizada para rezos diarios, sí hace la función de centro de difusión cultural del judaísmo y se llevan a cabo actividades de la comunidad, como bodas y ceremonias de Bar Mitzvá. Sin embargo, existe un debate abierto entre historiadores sobre si realmente ese es el emplazamiento real de la antigua Sinagoga Mayor original, ya que muchos la sitúan en el número 9 de la calle de Sant Domènec del Call, edificio ocupado en la actualidad por una vinatería.

A raíz de aquel 5 de agosto de 1931, la toponimia de las calles del Call fueron cambiadas y cristianizadas. La calle de la Font, lugar donde estaba situada la fuente en la que recogían agua los judíos, pasó a llamarse calle de la Font de Sant Honorat y, más tarde, calle Sant Honorat, nombre que se mantiene actualmente. La calle de la Sinagoga se convirtió en la calle de Sant Domènec del Call, en la cual se puede leer una placa que rememora cierto convento fundado en 1219 por Santo Domingo de Guzmán. La realidad es que se renombró así esta calle en recuerdo del día en que se inició el ataque, pues tuvo lugar el día de Sant Domènec.

El Call: memorias del barrio judío de Barcelona

Reliquia conservada en la Sinagoga Mayor

Alamy Stock Photo

En el número 6 de esta misma calle, nos topamos con la casa más antigua de la ciudad, pues está habitada desde el siglo XII. Pese a haber sido restaurada se conservan elementos ornamentales originales del Medievo. Un dato curioso de este edificio es que, si se presta atención, se observa cierta inclinación de la fachada, a consecuencia del terremoto que sufrió la ciudad en 1428.

Aunque, sin duda, el lugar más interesante para adentrarse en la cultura de los judíos de la Barcelona medieval es el Centre d’Interpretació del Call, asentado en el interior de la llamada Casa de l’Alquimista, en la Placeta de Manuel Ribé. El edificio data del siglo XIV y en él vivió Jucef Bonhiac, un artesano tejedor de velos. El museo ofrece información relativa al barrio y a la vida cotidiana y, además, en él se exponen los restos de la casa, una exhibición permanente de cerámicas halladas en excavaciones arqueológicas y lápidas del siglo II procedentes del cementerio hebreo de Montjuïc.

Puede que parezca que esta Barcelona judía es un lugar perteneciente al pasado, pero merece la pena rescatarla, conservarla y recordarla en memoria del esplendor material e inmaterial que alcanzó la Ciudad Condal durante esa época y por la incalculable herencia que nos dejaron para siempre en esta tierra, a pesar de ser expulsados de su querida Sefarad.

13_02_12-juderia_segovia
Pulse para ir a Home Page

¿QUÉ ES YOM YERUSHALAIM Y POR QUÉ EL PUEBLO JUDÍO LO FESTEJA?

US FLAG press

Día de Jerusalem (hebreo: יום ירושלים, Yom Yerushalaim) es una fiesta nacional israelí conmemora la reunificación de la ciudad vieja de Jerusalén al Estado de Israel  en las secuelas de la guerra de 1967.

En el año 70 EC el ejército romano conquistó lo que había sido la gloria de la nación judía durante mil años. Saquearon Jerusalén y degollaron o esclavizaron a todo residente judío.

Sesenta y cinco años después, el Emperador Romano Adrián arrasó con la ciudad. En sus ruinas construyó Aelia Capitolina. A los únicos judíos que les estaba permitida la entrada era a los esclavos judíos. Y el nombre “Jerusalén” sobrevivió sólo en libros de plegarias, desde los cuales el pueblo judío ha suplicado a D-os tres veces al día que reconstruyera Jerusalén desde entonces.

Cuando el Imperio Romano se reinventó a sí mismo como el Imperio Bizantino en el siglo IV, trajeron de vuelta el nombre de la ciudad, Jerusalén, pero no a los judíos de la misma. Aquellos judíos, quienes aún vivían en florecientes comunidades en la Galilea y en las Alturas del Golán, tenían permitida la entrada sólo un día al año: en Tishá b’Av, el día de la destrucción del Templo Sagrado y de Jerusalén. Uno de los historiadores de la época, Jerónimo, escribió: “Los judíos sólo pueden venir a lamentar la destrucción de la ciudad, y deben comprar el privilegio de poder llorar por la destrucción de la ciudad”.

La conquista árabe en el año 638 les arrebató la ciudad a los Bizantinos. El Califa Omar, el gobernante musulmán, les permitió a los judíos regresar. Un gran enclave judío se asentó al norte del Monte del Templo. El Templo del monte era obviamente la corona de Jerusalén. El emperador romano Adrián había construido un templo para Júpiter en la ruinas del Templo Sagrado de Jerusalén. Los Bizantinos habían construido una iglesia allí. Ahora los musulmanes nivelaron el lugar y construyeron el Domo de la Roca y la Mezquita de Al Aqsa.

Los cruzados conquistaron Jerusalén en el año 1099 y mataron a todos los judíos y musulmanes. Un río de sangre corría por las calles sagradas. Pronto los cristianos les permitieron a los tintoreros de telas judíos regresar. Benjamín de Tudela escribió: “Hay aproximadamente 200 judíos que viven bajo la Torre de David”.

Un siglo más tarde, los musulmanes bajo el liderazgo de Saladino vencieron a los cruzados, y a los judíos les fue permitido una vez más el libre acceso a Jerusalén. Como Rav Shlomó ben Samson escribió: “Llegamos a Jerusalén por el extremo occidental de la ciudad, rasgando nuestras vestimentas al verla… fue un momento muy emocional, y lloramos amargamente”.

Al Aqsa - Mezquita en Jerusalem, Israel

Los Mamelucos egipcios (soldados-esclavos) se tomaron la ciudad en el año 1250. Cuando el famoso Rav Moshé ben Najman (el Rambán) llegó de España no encontró suficientes judíos ni siquiera para tener minián. En una carta a su hijo, escribió: “Te escribo esta carta desde Jerusalem, la ciudad santa… las más destruida de todas las ciudades… Encontramos una casa en ruinas con pilares de mármol y un hermoso domo, y la convertimos en una sinagoga… Las casas de la ciudad están abandonadas, y cualquiera puede clamarlas”. El Rambán reestableció la comunidad judía de Jerusalén y la hizo crecer.

En 1516, Los Turcos Otomanos conquistaron la ciudad. El sultán Suleiman el Magnífico reconstruyó las murallas de Jerusalén y motivó a los judíos exiliados de España a asentarse allí. Menos de un siglo después, sin embargo, el régimen Turco se volvió corrupto. Impusieron grandes impuestos y muchas restricciones a los judíos de Jerusalén. Sin embargo, atraídos por sus corazones y plegarias, los judíos continuaron regresando a Jerusalén.

A mediados del siglo XIX la ciudad amurallada de Jerusalén estaba tan poblada con judíos que unos pocos residentes sugirieron mudarse hacia fuera de las murallas, pero sin la gran protección de las piedras quedarían a la merced de las pandillas de bandidos. Sir Moshé Montefiore dio el primer paso para resolver el problema y construyó un recinto protegido en las afueras de la muralla; veinte intrépidas familias judías se fueron a residir allí. Prontamente se formaron otros enclaves judíos y la nueva ciudad de Jerusalén se extendió más allá de lo que posteriormente pasó a ser conocida como la Ciudad Vieja, tal como se expande una manada en torno a su matriarca.

Los británicos derrotaron a los turcos durante la Primera Guerra Mundial, y en 1917, el general Allenby marchó victoriosamente a la Ciudad Vieja. Los británicos dividieron la Ciudad Vieja en cuatro cuartos: el cuarto musulmán (actualmente la mitad del área de la Ciudad Vieja), el cuarto cristiano, el cuarto judío y el cuarto armenio. Las designaciones fueron ficticias: de acuerdo al propio censo de los británicos, la mayoría de los residentes del “cuarto musulmán” eran judíos.

Kotel en 1914 - Enlace Judio Mexico

Los británicos mantuvieron las restricciones de los turcos sobre los judíos en el kotel (el Muro de los Lamentos), el sitio judío más santo del mundo junto al Monte del Templo. Sólo un angosto camino era accesible para que los judíos fueran a rezar. Los judíos no tenían permitido llevar asientos o bancos para sentarse. No tenían permitido poner una mejitzá como la que existe en las sinagogas. Aquellos judíos que se atrevían a tocar el shofar en Rosh Hashaná o al final de Yom Kipur eran arrestados y encarcelados.

Cuando, en mayo de 1948, los británicos fueron forzados por la ONU a emprender retirada, la Ciudad Vieja de Jerusalén, incluyendo el Monte del Templo y el kotel, cayeron en manos del ejército jordano (conocido como la Legión Árabe). Todos los residentes judíos fueron exiliados. Los hombres fueron llevados a Jordania como prisioneros de guerra, y las mujeres, niños y ancianos fueron expulsados por la Puerta de Sión mientras los que habían sido sus hogares por generaciones eran saqueados y quemados tras ellos.

Por primera vez en tres milenios, la Ciudad Vieja de Jerusalén regresó a manos del pueblo que no puede vivir sin ella y que considera esta Ciudad una de las maravillas más valiosas en toda la historia de la humanidad.

El naciente Estado de Israel, que había nacido ese mes, proclamó a Jerusalén como su capital. David Ben Gurion, quien fuera el primero en ocupar el cargo de primer ministro de Israel, declaró: “El valor de Jerusalem no puede ser medido, pesado o puesto en palabras. Si una tierra tiene un alma, Jerusalén es el alma de la tierra de Israel”.

La “ciudad nueva” de Jerusalén, dividida entre Israel y Jordania, se llenó de instituciones gubernamentales, educacionales y culturales. Pero su corazón, la amurallada Ciudad Vieja, rodeada de un alambre de púas y una amenazante señal de “Tierra de nadie”, se mantuvo fuera de Israel como, al igual que en algunas operaciones cardíacas, el corazón del paciente se mantiene fuera de su cuerpo.

Las plegarias judias por regresar a Yerushalaim - Enlace Judio Mexico

Por diecinueve años Jerusalén —la verdadera Jerusalem, la Ciudad Vieja—, se retiró de nuestras vidas para mantenerse sólo en nuestras plegarias y deseos. La más grandiosa cantante de Israel, Naomi Shemer, compuso una inolvidable canción, “Jerusalén de oro”, la cual se volvió un himno de anhelo de los judíos seculares, tal como lo era el salmo de “Si te he de olvidar, Jerusalem” para los judíos religiosos.

Entonces, el día 28 del mes judío de Iyar, en el tercer día de la Guerra de los Seis Días de 1967, mientras el ejercito israelí batallaba con el ejercito jordano en áreas en torno a la Tierra de Nadie, los comandantes israelíes de pronto se dieron cuenta que podía ser posible recuperar la Ciudad Vieja. En los archivos del ejército israelí había planes militares detallados para cómo tomar cada colina y campo en la tierra, pero no había ningún plan de cómo tomar la Ciudad Vieja. Sus gruesas murallas, construidas para resguardarla de los invasores, la habían hecho invencible en 1948, cuando docenas de guerreros judíos perdieron sus vidas intentando penetrar el bastión. Pero ahora, cuando estaban siendo logradas victorias milagrosas en cada frente, ¿era posible —realmente posible— recuperar la Ciudad Vieja de Jerusalem?

Tres soldados admirando la Ciudad VIeja de Jerusalem por primera vez

La orden fue emitida a la Brigada 55 de paracaidistas de Motta Gur para que tomasen la Ciudad Vieja. Siendo un judío secular con el anhelo por Jerusalem corriendo por sus venas, Gur se sintió sobrecogido por la responsabilidad, que después de 2.000 años, él fuese a comandar a las fuerzas judías que finalmente traerían de vuelta a Jerusalem a la soberanía judía.

Los paracaidistas entraron por la Puerta de los Leones. Para su sorpresa, fuera de ocasionales disparos de francotiradores, no hubo mayor resistencia. Las fuerzas jordanas habían evacuado la noche anterior. Las tropas israelíes se dirigieron como un magneto directamente al Monte del Templo. Las palabras de Motta Gur, las cuales fueron escuchadas en Bunkers y refugios antibombas y bases militares a lo largo de Israel, serían recordadas por la historia moderna judía como el grito de guerra de un otrora derrotado pero ahora victorioso pueblo: “Har Habayit be yadeinu, ¡el Monte del Templo está en nuestras manos!”.

El día se festeja oficialmente por ceremonias de estado y servicios conmemorativos. Mientras que el día no se celebra tradicionalmente fuera de Israel, y ha perdido su significado para la mayoría de los israelíes seculares, el día todavía está muy celebrada por la comunidad sionista religiosa de Israel con desfiles, otras oraciones en la sinagoga y festejos en las calles.

El Rabinato de Israel declaró el Día de Jerusalén una fiesta religiosa de menor importancia debido a la recuperación del acceso al Muro Occidental y la apertura de la Ciudad Vieja a todas las personas que practiquen religiones para que puedan conectarse espiritualmente.

Fuente: Aish latino

contact-now

What is Yom Yerushalayim and what does it consist of?

Spain flag press

Jerusalem Day (Hebrew: יום ירושלים, Yom Yerushalaim) is an Israeli national holiday commemorating the reunification of the old city from Jerusalem to the State of Israel in the aftermath of the 1967 war.

In 70 CE the Roman army conquered what had been the glory of the Jewish nation for a thousand years. They slaughtered Jerusalem and slaughtered or enslaved every Jewish resident.

Sixty-five years later, the Roman Emperor Adrian ravaged the city. In its ruins built Aelia Capitolina. The only Jews who were allowed entry were the Jewish slaves. And the name “Jerusalem” survived only in prayer books, from which the Jewish people have begged God three times a day to rebuild Jerusalem ever since.

When the Roman Empire reinvented itself as the Byzantine Empire in the fourth century, they brought back the name of the city, Jerusalem, but not the Jews of it. Those Jews, who still lived in flourishing communities in the Galilee and in the Golan Heights, were allowed entry only one day a year: in Tisha b’Av, the day of the destruction of the Holy Temple and Jerusalem. One of the historians of the time, Jeronimo, wrote: “The Jews can only come to mourn the destruction of the city, and they must buy the privilege of being able to mourn for the destruction of the city.”

The Arab conquest in 638 snatched the city from the Byzantines. Caliph Omar, the Muslim ruler, allowed the Jews to return. A large Jewish enclave settled north of the Temple Mount. The Mount Temple was obviously the crown of Jerusalem. The Roman Emperor Hadrian had built a temple for Jupiter in the ruins of the Holy Temple of Jerusalem. The Byzantines had built a church there. Now the Muslims leveled the place and built the Dome of the Rock and the Al Aqsa Mosque.

The Crusaders conquered Jerusalem in the year 1099 and killed all Jews and Muslims. A river of blood flowed through the sacred streets. Soon the Christians allowed the Jewish cloth dyers to return. Benjamin of Tudela wrote: “There are about 200 Jews living under the Tower of David.”

A century later, the Muslims under the leadership of Saladin overcame the Crusaders, and once again the Jews were allowed free access to Jerusalem. As Rav Shlomo ben Samson wrote: “We arrived in Jerusalem at the western end of the city, ripping our robes at the sight of it … it was a very emotional moment, and we wept bitterly.”

Al Aqsa – Mosque in Jerusalem, Israel

The Egyptian Mamluks (slave-soldiers) took over the city in 1250. When the famous Rav Moshe ben Najman (the Ramban) came from Spain he did not find enough Jews even to have minan. In a letter to his son, he wrote: “I am writing this letter from Jerusalem, the holy city … the most destroyed of all cities … We find a ruined house with marble pillars and a beautiful dome, and make it a synagogue … The houses of the city are abandoned, and anyone can claim them. ” The Ramban re-established the Jewish community of Jerusalem and made it grow.

In 1516, the Ottoman Turks conquered the city. Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem and motivated the exiled Jews of Spain to settle there. Less than a century later, however, the Turkish regime became corrupt. They imposed great taxes and many restrictions on the Jews of Jerusalem. However, attracted by their hearts and prayers, the Jews continued to return to Jerusalem.

By the middle of the nineteenth century the walled city of Jerusalem was so crowded with Jews that a few residents suggested moving out of the walls, but without the great protection of the stones they would be at the mercy of gangs of bandits. Sir Moshe Montefiore took the first step to solve the problem and built a protected enclosure on the outskirts of the wall; Twenty intrepid Jewish families went to reside there. Soon other Jewish enclaves were formed and the new city of Jerusalem extended beyond what later happened to be known as the Old City, as a herd expands around its matriarch.

The British defeated the Turks during World War I, and in 1917, General Allenby marched victoriously to the Old City. The British divided the Old City into four quarters: the Muslim Quarter (now half the Old Town area), the Christian Quarter, the Jewish Quarter, and the Armenian Quarter. The designations were fictitious: according to the British census itself, the majority of the residents of the “Muslim quarter” were Jews.

The British maintained the restrictions of the Turks on the Jews in the kotel (the Wailing Wall), the holiest Jewish site in the world by the Temple Mount. Only a narrow road was accessible for the Jews to pray. Jews were not allowed to take seats or benches to sit. They were not allowed to put a mitzvah like the one in the synagogues. Those Jews who dared to touch the shofar on Rosh Hashanah or at the end of Yom Kippur were arrested and imprisoned.

When, in May 1948, the British were forced by the UN to undertake withdrawal, the Old City of Jerusalem, including the Temple Mount and the Kotel, fell into the hands of the Jordanian army (known as the Arab Legion). All Jewish residents were exiled. The men were taken to Jordan as prisoners of war, and the women, children and elders were driven out by the Gate of Zion while those who had been their homes for generations were ransacked and burned after them.

For the first time in three millennia, the Old City of Jerusalem returned to the hands of the people who can not live without it and who considers this City one of the most valuable wonders in the history of mankind.

The nascent State of Israel, which had been born that month, proclaimed Jerusalem as its capital. David Ben Gurion, who was the first Israeli prime minister, declared: “The value of Jerusalem can not be measured, weighed, or put into words. If a land has a soul, Jerusalem is the soul of the land of Israel. “

The “new city” of Jerusalem, divided between Israel and Jordan, was filled with governmental, educational and cultural institutions. But his heart, the walled Old City, surrounded by a barbed wire and a menacing sign of “No man’s land,” remained outside Israel as, as in some cardiac operations, the patient’s heart is kept out of his body.

Jewish Prayers for Returning to Yerushalayim – Jewish Link Mexico

For nineteen years Jerusalem – the true Jerusalem, the Old City – withdrew from our lives to remain only in our prayers and desires. The greatest singer in Israel, Naomi Shemer, composed an unforgettable song, “Jerusalem of gold,” which became a hymn of longing for secular Jews, as was the psalm of “If I Forget You, Jerusalem” For religious Jews.

Then, on the 28th of the Jewish month of Iyar, on the third day of the Six Day War of 1967, as the Israeli army battled with the Jordanian army in areas around the Land of No One, Israeli commanders suddenly They realized that it might be possible to recover the Old City. In the Israeli army files there were detailed military plans for how to take every hill and field on earth, but there was no plan of how to take the Old City. Its thick walls, built to protect it from the invaders, had made it invincible in 1948, when dozens of Jewish warriors lost their lives trying to penetrate the bastion. But now, when miraculous victories were being achieved on each front, was it possible – indeed possible – to recover the Old City of Jerusalem?

Three soldiers admiring the Old City of Jerusalem for the first time

The order was issued to Brigade 55 of Motta Gur paratroopers to take the Old City. Being a secular Jew with the longing for Jerusalem running through his veins, Gur was overwhelmed by the responsibility that after 2,000 years he would command Jewish forces that would eventually bring Jerusalem back to Jewish sovereignty.

The paratroopers entered through the Lions Gate. To his surprise, out of occasional sniper shots, there was no greater resistance. Jordanian forces evacuated the night before. Israeli troops headed like a magnet directly to the Temple Mount. Motta Gur’s words, which were heard in bunkers and bomb shelters and military bases throughout Israel, would be remembered by modern Jewish history as the war cry of a once defeated but now victorious people: “Har Habayit be yadeinu , The Temple Mount is in our hands! “

The day is officially celebrated for state ceremonies and commemorative services. While the day is not traditionally celebrated outside Israel, and has lost its meaning for most secular Israelis, the day is still very much celebrated by the Zionist religious community of Israel with parades, other prayers in the synagogue and celebrations in the Streets

The Israeli Rabbinate declared Jerusalem Day a minor religious feast due to the restoration of access to the Western Wall and the opening of the Old City to all people who practice religions so they can connect spiritually.

Source: Aish latino

contact-now

 

World ORT and ORT Spain sign a collaboration agreement with the school Estrella Toledano

gabirol madridSpain flag press

The school Estrella Toledano joins the network of affiliated schools of World ORT

The Ibn Gabirol Studies Center – Colegio Estrella Toledano, the only Jewish college in Madrid and with 50 years of experience in education, signed a collaboration agreement with World ORT and ORT España on Sunday, May 21, which will allow it to be part of The world network of schools affiliated to World ORT.

This agreement is part of the strategic objective of the Jewish Community of Madrid and its Board of Directors chaired by David Hatchwell to establish alliances with important international institutions.

Thanks to this collaboration the Colegio Estrella Toledano can have access to a cutting-edge international educational offer at the highest level.

About World ORT

World ORT is the largest non-governmental organization of Jewish education and vocational training in the world whose aim is to work for the progress of the Jewish people through training and education. More information at http://www.ort.org

contact-now